Monday, April 12, 2010

Tai Chi

Saturday, April 24 is National Tai Chi Day.

I practice the art of Tai Chi on Tuesday and Thursday mornings.  I have found Tai Chi to be fun and beneficial.  Tai Chi, as it is practiced in the west today, can perhaps best be thought of as a moving form of yoga and meditation combined. There are a number of so called forms which consist of a sequence of movement.  Many of these movements are originally derived from the martial arts (and perhaps even more ancestrally than that, from the natural movements of animals and birds) although the way they are performed in Tai Chi is slowly, softly and gracefully with smooth and even transitions between them.  I have the slowly down - but the softly, gracefully and smooth part is a challenge for sure. 

I found this YouTube video and believe me I have a lot of practicing to do!  No one in my class looks like this (sorry guys)!   This gives me something to strive for.  She is so graceful.  I want to move like she does.  I love her high kicks and low to the ground moves.  I also want her pink silk tai chi outfit!  I just finished sewing a new tai chi shirt but now I need to find some pink silk.  I figure I can at least look good while I'm practicing being smooth and graceful.

Check it out.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBvF6r6DOvc

Enjoy your day.
mother hen

No comments:

Post a Comment