Sunday, February 21, 2010

Collections - Thimbles!

Collection: A group of objects or works to be seen, studied or kept together. An accumulation

COLLECTIONS:
Part II - Thimbles

Did you know that people who collect thimbles are called digitabulists?

Thimbles come in various sizes, shapes and colors. The tops of thimbles can be rounded, flat, indented, or cut off. Some are very ornate, others very simple. The simple ones are usually the work ones. The more ornate are usually for display. Years ago companies would put their name and/or logo on thimbles for advertisement and give them away. What a great business card! Who would throw a thimble away? - not me. Thimbles are usually made from some sort of metal, leather, plastic, rubber, wood, glass or china. I even saw a thimble in a book that was crocheted. Early thimbles were sometimes made from whale bone, horn or ivory. They have become works of art in their own right.

One of the nice things about collecting thimbles is that they do not take up much space. You can put a lot of thimbles on a shelf! I have mine sitting on various shelves and cupboards throughout my fabric and sewing rooms. In fact, when I went to take some pictures I noticed that I too have a crocheted thimble sitting on a little shelf!

Some people who collect thimbles also collect thimble holders and boxes. I haven't really gotten into collecting those, although I do have a few as you can see in the pictures!

My thimbles come from garage sales, from junk stores, from friends, from antique stores, some even from Avon! I guess I love thimbles because I feel they are a part of me - who I am, my past and my present. My most treasured thimbles came from my mom and my grandma. Grandma Tillie was an amazing seamstress by trade. She designed and sewed the most beautiful clothing. She used a tailor's thimble (the top is cut off and left open). You can see one of Grandma Tillie's in the picture above. When I use one of her thimbles I feel her energy.

Create your own energy.

Enjoy the day.
Mother Hen

No comments:

Post a Comment