Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Summer Crafting Project

On my weekly outing to the library with baby chick and the grand kids I picked up an old copy of a Martha Stewart Living magazine.  I found these instructions to string jade beads with ribbon to create a cool necklace.  I thought this would be a great summer project.  Start now on your Christmas gift projects!   I can imagine  all kinds of beautiful possibilities. Use the following instructions for stringing guidelines, but use your own ideas for beads, ribbon and cording.  I think I'll pull out my beads and ribbons and create some great necklaces for gifts and one for myself!

A single strand of beads is enough for a necklace, thanks to satin ribbons.  The beads are strung onto silk cord that comes with a needle on one end for easy threading.

 Cut two 1-yard lengths of ribbon.  Unwind the silk cord fully from its spool.  Thread 1 bead onto cord, sliding it down and leaving a 5-inch tail.  Attach ribbon:  Holding bead on tail,  use cord to tie a secure double knot at midpoint of 1 ribbon.  Secure bead:  Pull needle back through bead (1).  Knot tail and needle ends together next to bead (2); trim tail.  Thread second bead; knot cord next to bead.  Repeat to add remaining beads.  After last knot, use cord to tie a secure double knot at midpoint of second ribbon.  Pull needle back through last bead, and tie a knot around existing cord; trim ends.

Happy beading.


Enjoy the day.
mother hen


No comments:

Post a Comment