Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Summer eats



We love grilled veggies.  Grilled veggies in a salad are great.  Due to our lousy spring weather our garden had a slow start.  But now the garden is looking pretty darn good.  We have a large garden - enough to feed five families!  We give fresh veggies out to our family and friends.  Our lettuce is really doing  well so we have been eating a lot of fresh salads.  Garden lettuce is the best!   I grill up veggies and put them on a bed of  lettuce, add some raw snow peas; they add a nice crunch to the salad.  Sometimes I add grilled salmon or chicken.  To make the salads meatless I add black beans, rice, pasta or whatever is in the frig.  Top it off with some homemade low fat green goddess dressing - yummy, nothing could be better.  I make a really good basil inspired green goddess dressing.  Here's how I make it. 

In a food processor bowl add about:  1 cup low fat mayo, 1/2 cup low fat sour cream,  1 tbls. white wine vinegar, 1 tbls. fresh lemon juice (I add a little more), a little bit of fresh parsley (not too much because you are going to add basil -  if you don't have parsley, skip it), a good handful of fresh basil leaves, a good handful of some snipped fresh chives,  salt and fresh ground pepper, a couple of anchovy fillets, rinsed and patted dry or use some anchovy paste.  I usually use the anchovy paste, 1/2 to 1 tbls.  Frankly, the stuff grosses me out, but I add it for the flavor.   Blend up and adjust to your liking.  If you want regular green goddess dressing omit the fresh basil and use a good size handful of fresh parsley - it's good too!

Bon appetit!

Enjoy the day.
mother hen

No comments:

Post a Comment